Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Open Water Swim - Never Say Never

This evening I did something I swore that I would never do, I swam in the Schuylkill River.
Race course

Tonight was the 4th race in the Upper Merion Open Water Swim Series.  The race was 800 meters out and back.  My time was14:08 and I came in 14th out of 39 swimmers.  I went a bit off course after the initial pass under the bridge, but straightened out after that.  My coach Laurie Hug was there and she finished first with a time of 10:38!    
This is my Suunto data from the race
About to take the plunge
Mike was there with M&M spectating and snagged this photo before the race started.  The water was 78 degrees so I opted out of wearing my wetsuit.  Water visibility was super murky - which in a way worked for me since there were no creatures for me to imagine.

It was great to get open water practice for sighting and confidence building.  The ice cream stop on the way home was the kids favorite part (although they knew to say the were very proud of me)!

No comments: